- The Kitchenarian - http://www.thekitchenarian.com -

Getting Organized – Countdown to Thanksgiving

If you are hosting Thanksgiving Day and you want to truly enjoy the holiday without feeling panicked, rushed or exhausted, then you really need to start getting ready now.

Here is a quick list of items to take care of this week. Plan your menu. Chances are 80% of your menu consists of tried and true family favorites. But take the time now to think of the other 20%. Have you set aside menus that you thought would be great for a big family gathering and haven’t tried them yet? Find those recipes, narrow down the list and if you aren’t one to take a lot of culinary risks, then try them out this week.

Find all of your turkey cooking basics from last year. Did your thermometer break? Did you lose your twine? Take a quick Thanksgiving inventory now and then head out to your favorite kitchen store for supplies. This does not need to be a last minute errand.

Order your turkey this week. By now you should know how many people you will be serving. The big question is how big a turkey to get.  You should plan on 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of turkey per person depending on how many leftovers you want.

Buy your wine this week. After you have finished planning your menu, go to your favorite wine shop and take care of this detail early. Take your menu list with you and let the experts helps you choose a wine within your budget.

If you have specialty items that you like, get them early. Stores run out of items like chestnuts and brining mix early. Don’t wait.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...